Saturday 13 June 2009

Hairdresser

One of the new words I learned in Italian recently is the word for hairdresser: 'parucchiera'. This word is extremely important for 'la nonna', since she holds this strong conviction that her hair should only be washed (and styled) by professionals. She therefore never washes her hair herself, but instead goes to the hairdresser once a week to have it done. Why would she do it differently here in China?
The first time she went to a hairdresser here, she went to the first one she saw: a small shop near the university. There, they not only washed her hair, but also her face (they made her bend over while she was standing!). And all of that for the price of 1 Euro!! Ready to try some upscale salon, she decided to head downtown for the next 'wash & blow'. Lara, Auro and myself joined her. I was feeling brave and had a haircut. The language barrier, unfortunately, made me come out with my hair a bit (actually a lot) shorter than I had wanted, but, hey, they will grow back, right? Right? The constant noice coming from all the hairdryers made Auro sleep throughout the whole happening and by the time he woke up, we were all ready to go. Then I remembered that Auro's hair could use a little trimming, not much, just above the ears a little bit. The gentleman who cut my hair happily obliged and while I held Auro's head, he put the scissors on Auro's hair for the first time. A true historical moment!! And behold the result: a beautiful boy ready to hit the town! (not for another 20 years, if I can help it though;)))

No comments:

Post a Comment