Thursday 3 September 2009

Apology

I'm fairly certain that people who have gone to public toilets in Japan before have never given it much thought, so I feel I should mention it here: when you have a baby with you, Japanese public toilets are so benri (便利=handy)! Almost all public toilets have at least one cubicle which has a special seat for babies. I have to admit that, before I had Auro, I very often used this seat to put my bag on and never really appreciated it's real value. With this post, I officially apologize to all the baby seats in Japanese public toilets for not seeing how handy they are! I really wish they had them in Belgium or Italy too (I always had to put Auro on the floor close to me), not to mention Chinese public toilets... And while we are at it, maybe airplane companies should also consider installing them. I don't have to explain to you just how much 'manoeuvring' it requires when you need to go and there is barely enough space on the dirty floor to put your feet.
Anyway... here is Auro in the toilet of Imadegawa station!

5 comments:

  1. I've seen one in a baby care room at Windsor Castle recently. :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?! Hip hip hooray for Windsor Castle ;-))))

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never realize how convenient life in Japan is until we meet the cruel world outside... Love your blog, Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree that these seats are very very convenient and airplanes and airport toilets should definitely have them as well. Because it may seem surprising, but mums pee as well, and to handle luggage and the baby in a bathroom that is just horribly dirty really puts your ingeniousity to test. I travel alone with the baby a lot, like you, and airplane toilets are a disaster, both for changing nappies and going yourself. I never dared to put Jürgen on the floor though and perform elaborate dances to wriggle my pants up and down somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Indeed.. typical Japanese to invent something like this..and indeed: vèèèèry handy! Perhaps you can import it to Belgium & Europe.. and start business here... You're fortune would be made!

    ReplyDelete